Makalu base camp
Activity: Trekking Camp
Duration: 20 Days
Grading: ModerateThis category of trekking requires basic outdoor experience and a certain degree of physical aptitude. If you are physically fit and are the kind of person who enjoys the outdoors, age is not going to be an issue. The trek in this category entails an experienced camping crew who handle all logistical issues. All you have to do is enjoy the adventure and wilderness while the gritty details are worked out by our professional crew.
Altitude: Up to 5,500m
Route: Tumlingtaar-Tashigaun-Makalu BC-Khongma La-Katikeghat-Tumlingtaar
Departure Date: 4th April 2017, 4th October 2017
Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world at an elevation of 8,463m, located southeast of Mt. Everest. The Makalu Barun valley is a Himalayan Glacier valley that spreads at the base of the hulking black giant Makalu, where high waterfalls cascade into deep gorges, craggy rocks rise from lush green forests, and colorful flowers bloom beneath white snow peaks. Rare species of animals and plants flourish in diverse climates and habitats, relatively undisturbed by human kind.
The Makalu base camp trek is a relatively difficult trek for experienced trekkers. The trail begins from Tumlingtar, the deepest valley and biggest plain land near a hill in Nepal. The path takes you through vibrant forests in the lower regions that are splashed with rhododendrons colored from blood crimson to immaculate white. The higher regions have imposing granite cliffs capped with snowy white glaciers and gushing waterfalls that take your breath away and make you feel humbled by nature. But the best part of the trek is the view from the View Point (5,500m) from where you see the isolated and lonely Makalu,the proud and tall Mt. Everest and the beautiful jagged Lhotse.
- Day 01- Arrive in Kathmandu.
- Day 02- Stay in Kathmandu for official procedures.
- Day 03- Fly to Tumlingtar, over night camp.
- Day 04- Drive to Num by jeep (1,560m).
- Day 05- Trek to Seduwa (1,540m).
- Day 06- Trek to Tashigaun (2,135m).
- Day 07- Rest day at Tashigaun.
- Day 08- Trek to Khongma la(3,920m).
- Day 09- Trek to Mumbuk (3,553m).
- Day 10- Trek to Yangle kharka (3,598m).
- Day 11- Trek to Merek (4,568m).
- Day 12- Trek to Makalu base camp (4,812m).
- Day 13- Hike up to view point (5,500m) of Makalu, Everest, Baruntse and Lhotse.
- Day 14 and 15- Extra days to explore around.
- Day 16- Trek back to Yangla kharka.
- Day 17- Trek to Khongma la.
- Day 18- Trek to Walung phedi.(820m)
- Day 19- Trek to Yaphu mulgaun.
- Day 20- Trek to Katikeghat.
- Day 21- Trek to Tumlingtar.
- Day 22- Fly to Kathmandu.
- Day 23- Extra day in Kathmandu.
- Day 24- Fly back home.
- Full board lodge service for whole trekking period.
- Domestic flight service as in the itinerary.
- All ground transportation.
- Trekking permit and national park fee.
- Guide and porters.
- Best possible equipments will be provided for porters.
- Hotel reservation.
- Airport pick up and drop.
- Welcome and farewell dinner.
- Helicopter rescue service.
- First aid kit.
- For 06 pax Euro 1,500 per-person.
- For 08 pax Euro 1,475 per-person.
- For 10 pax Euro 1,450 per-person.
- For 12 pax Euro 1,425 per-person.
- For 14 pax Euro 1,400 per-person.
- Hotel in Kathmandu.
- All kind of beverages.
- Personal trekking gears.
- Helicopter rescue cost.
- Staff tips.